Subject: Re: Noteworthy Opera/Vocal Reissues
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:38:48 +0000

I have been "stocking up" on  the quad Pentatone SACDs. Many replace
earlier CD editions on my shelves, but so far, the excellent audio quality
and surround presentation are well worth the double-dipping.

I have lost count of my CD versions of the very young Schlomo Mintz recital
of Fritz Kreissler "encores" since the original DG LP, an old favorite of
mine. The Pentatone release is the first one to get it "right", in my
opinion, with the surround channels used very discreetely to suggest the
intimate ambience of a small recital venue.

The Bernstein - Horne Carmen puts the listener in the middle of the stage!
This may not always work, but for this opera, on this particular recording
and of course, for this particular listener, it is very successful. Horne
has a field day with Bernstein's slow-as-ketchup tempo, sounding sensuous
in a way she could just not manage in a live performance.

The Caballé Tosca was released in quad SACD by Pentatone a few years ago,
before the current bird/flower cover series. I imagine the new edition is
just a re-release with new packaging, so I'm sticking with the old one.

So far, the Decca Blu-ray series keeps going strong. I may be fortunate in
that my tin ears are missing the spots where the old tapes are flaking off.
Please don't tell me where they are! The Rigoletto, Elisir, the wonderful
Karajan Freni-Pavarotti Bohème, the Nilsson-Pav-Metha Turandot and the
Price Tosca are probably, as you mention, the closest we'll ever get to
owning the original master tapes. I am looking forward to the backordered
Price Aida and hoping for the Solti Troyanos-Domingo Carmen will show up
soon! The Böhm Bayreuth Tristan from 1967 Has also been announced for
release on Blu-ray audio.

If only Decca had kept the Solti Ring tapes in the same fridge where they
stored the above, maybe the Blu-ray release would have boasted 24/96
remastering instead of the 24/48 copy from 1997 they used! Not that it
matters much... It sounds fantastic!

By the way, a very promising new release from Universal Records Japan is
the Knapperstbusch - Flagstad Act I of Die Walküre. This is an eternal
favorite of mine, as it pretty much got me interested in the Ring, many,
many moons ago. My London "blue back" LP, bought second hand in the 1980s,
was joined by the Decca Classic Sound CD remastering in the early 1990s.
This edition has always seemed OK to me, but I could not resist pulling the
trigger on the pricey ($57) Universal single-layer SACD. Maybe this will be
released domestically as a hybrid SACD by Analogue Productions, but
Universal SACDs are published in very limited releases and I did not want
to risk missing this very special recording in what I hope will be its best
sounding version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CSMD48W/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

Enjoy!