Subject: Re: tosca
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:52:44 -0400

Hello Gordon. One of my 'friends' (who, unlike Trump's 'good friend,' Pavarotti, is
still with us) just conducted a world premiere of an opera called Voir Dire by
Matthew Peterson at the Fort Worth Opera. Sold out, however. Got a reasonably
good review in the Star-Telegram. I have particularly noted that many operas, like
Fort Worth, LA, etc. now have a smaller venue for the new and experimental and
this is part of their season. It is what is critically missing at the Met. The "new
opera" scene around America is clearly healthy but too often missing on
"mainstream" stages where they play it safe and do that whale opera.
About Paris, I remind everyone that Paris is now specially rich in opera and
classical music and is right up with Berlin, Vienna, etc. If you vacation is just to
stroll along the Seine, you are missing a good deal. I will recommend again the
Fantasio of Offenbach available on the internet. This story about a street kid falling
in love with a princess is more of a challenge than the contemporary audience
wanted. They missed the frothy Comique style. But you can hear Offenbach
moving toward serious themes of grand opera here and this would culminate in
Tales three years later.
Note: today's news is that Arizona Opera just got a million bucks but only for new
work.  There's money out there if you can escape "business as usual."
Frank Cadenhead

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 07:33:56 -0500, gordon young
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>As some know I am a Youtube addict. One of the reasons is the ability to
>see unusual repertoire and the more avant-guarde productions from Europe.
>Frank is very fortunate to live where there are more venues for opera than
>most of us have access to outside of the larger urban areas. If one lives
>in New York City there are many large and small companies producing
>interesting and varied operas. Now I am going to sound like Frank, few of
>the smaller companies receive any comments on opera-l and these would be
>the operas I would find most exciting. I read about them in the New York
>Times and feel envy.

Modify your settings: