Subject: Furtwaengler and Perfect Pitch
From: Anthony Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 08:51:01 -0400

*GF:* You said that Furtwängler did not have absolute pitch, so one day the
Berlin Philharmonic played a joke on him on his birthday.

*FS:* It happened in New York, when he conducted there for the first time.
He told me this story himself. We were speaking about absolute pitch and he
admitted that he didn't have it (I think even Wagner didn't have it and
that has very little to do with the quality of an artist). The orchestra in
New York knew this and on the occasion of a rehearsal of the Eroica on his
birthday, they decided to play it in E major. And Furtwängler told me that
after some twelve bars he beat on his pulpit saying: *«What's up today? It
sounds so strange?»* General laughter followed.

http://www.furtwangler.net/inmemoriam/data/schna_en.htm