Subject: Re: tosca
From: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 07:33:56 -0500

As some know I am a Youtube addict. One of the reasons is the ability to
see unusual repertoire and the more avant-guarde productions from Europe.
Frank is very fortunate to live where there are more venues for opera than
most of us have access to outside of the larger urban areas. If one lives
in New York City there are many large and small companies producing
interesting and varied operas. Now I am going to sound like Frank, few of
the smaller companies receive any comments on opera-l and these would be
the operas I would find most exciting. I read about them in the New York
Times and feel envy.

Frank mentions seeing Peter Maxwell Davies’ The Lighthouse. The Dallas
Opera did it in 2012 and Orlando Furioso was done 1980. We are lucky to be
close to Fort Worth and their opera, even though its season is too short,
does very interesting things. This year Carmen plus a mariachi opera Cruzan
La Cara de la Lune by Jose Martinez and Leonard Foglia and a new opera by
Matthew Peterson and Jason Zenke. It is also interesting that Fort Worth
Opera does supertitles in both English and Spanish.

Dallas Opera balances the old and the new. Next year we will get, Samson
and Dalila, Traviata and Don Giovanni but then we will have Sunken Garden,
an American premiere and Korngold’s Ring of Polykrates and the composer’s
Violin concerto (an interesting combination but how will the visual be
done?).

In the past I often traveled to Houston and New York to see other operas or
favorite singers. Today I have fewer favorite singers but back in the good
old days I saw all of Scotto’s major roles between Dallas and Houston. Saw
many Sill’s performances and of course who could forget Olivero. Kraus sang
in Dallas many times and still when someone today sings his repertoire in
my head I hear his sound.

The Dallas Opera is ending its current season with a traditional production
of Norma and there were aspects of the staging that I questioned as
strongly as I questioned the staging of the Tosca under discussion … well
almost.