Subject: Re: tosca
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Apr 2017 06:16:31 -0400

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:25:32 -0400, Titu Rel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>"But the real story is how Tosca reacts to this new reality.
>She remains vapid and jealous during the first act but it is only her
>confrontation with Ailes/O’Reilly (read Scarpia) that her moral compass
>starts spinning".
>DO YOU NEED A STRONGER INDICTMENT OF THE IDIOTIC EUROPEAN
"REGIETHEATER"
>CONCEPT THAN THE ABOVE SENTENCE?
>
>Cadenhead also writes:
>"America’s backwardness in this art means that creativity in opera
>production is entirely a European function".
>SUBSTITUTE "TRASH CREATION" FOR "CREATIVITY" AND WE'RE IN BUSINESS.
>T.R.

Hi Titu,
I know your reaction to my post makes you seem like a wacky, ugly reactionary
incapable of any sort of reasoned discourse.  I suspect that this characterization is
not entirely true because you are a member of Opera-l. It is more and more
occupied by ranters like you pretend to be (and is only a ghost of what it was like a
few decades ago) but I know you, and all of us, fundamentally love opera.
Let me tell you what my current opera agenda is and we can talk about our mutual
interests. Tonight I will be seeing The Snow Queen from Bastille. It is being
broadcast in theaters around the world and on the internet live all over Europe.
Friday is the last performance of The Lighthouse (Peter Maxwell Davies) at the
Athenee. Looking forward to that! May 2 it will be Wozzeck at Bastille but you
probably would not like the Marthaler production. In two weeks Nebs can be seen
in our own Onegin at Bastille but you would not like the Decker production! The
new production of Pelleas is opening at TCE on the 9th but you will not like the
rough Ruf production. There was no production to dislike on the 19th, a concert
performance at TCE of Vivaldi's Orlando Furioso. This splendid, vivid performance
which make you wonder why this masterpiece is not seen more in houses. May
also has Pearl Fishers and Ariodante in concert at TCE. I have tickets to the
Comique's production of Alcione next week (an opera by Marin Marais, conducted
by Jordi Savall who was also involved in that film "Tous les Matins du monde"
which made the composer's name well known). It opens tomorrow night. You
would not like the production of Louise Moaty which certainly takes liberties with
the text. Then there was the opening concert of the new dramatic concert complex
("La Seine musicale") that opened over the weekend at an island in the middle of
the Seine. The Auditorium's opening concert was the Insula Orchestra and their
conductor Laurence Equilbey. The first work was absolutely astonishing. I have
never heard 18 yo Mozart's La Finata Giardiniera (German version) but the concert
opened with parts of that. Then there were gripping excerpts from Die Freischutz
and I wonder why this opera is not more on stages. It finished with Beethoven's
Choral Fantasy.  This concert can be streamed. Another on the internet is
Offenbach's Fantasio. The new reconstruction which I saw at Chatelet Feb. 20 still
remains in my head and I understand what it might seem like to be at the first
performance of a real masterpiece. This is also on the internet but you would not
like Tomas Jolly's production. I hope you can let me know what is on your calendar
for the next few weeks and we can get a dialogue going about new trends in
opera. I hope all here will find some of these things on the internet. We used to get
posts about coming events for streaming but nobody showed the slightest interest
on Opera-l so they stopped. Titu, I look forward to your report on your next few
weeks of opera. It would be good if we can get more thoughtful exchanges about
opera repertory, performances and productions going.
Frank Cadenhead