Subject: Re: Serious Question
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Apr 2017 16:49:57 -0400

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> On perfect pitch, the research is pretty clear. Perfect pitch is inherited
> by nature, but it also must be nurtured. If you do not "activate" it in
> early years, it never developed. So it's a bit misleading to say "You are
> either born with it or not."

I distinctly remember that our professor in solfeggio classes tried to
train our ear for absolute pitch, without giving us a reference note. It's
in my vague memory (I was still quite young) but, if judging from my
grades, I apparently had some success with it. Whatever the ability for
perfect pitch I had/developed at that time (if any), it's all lost by now.
Like Bob, I can hear sharp or flat notes only, though of course not nearly
as well as Bob does (he has a perfect ear for it, IMO).

What I find strange is that I can detect intonation issues with much more
ease for some voices (sorry Netrebko!) than others. I use Bob's onlist
comments as the reference point and on a few occasion was surprised to read
that he found a singer to be off-pitch, because I didn't hear it. That
said, on this one I trust Bob's ear more than mine. Although those were
only a handful of occasions, they nonetheless made me think that perhaps
for this reason we (opera-lers) are sometimes all on the same page about
one singer's intonation issues and not so much for another. I guess it
depends on a singer's voice, not just our ears...

Vesna