Subject: Re: Serious Question
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Apr 2017 12:13:19 -0700

Perfect pitch, like a perfect trill or as Zinka Milanov remarked, a
pianissimo, isn't something easily acquired.  You are either born with it
or not.  You can be taught to get close to a trill or sing softly, but true
trills and true pianissimo's are born - they are not made.  Same with
relative pitch vs perfect pitch.  Perfect pitch is something you are born
with.  My mother, much to my chagrin when I sang for her, had perfect
pitch.  I had good relative pitch which is more the norm, I think.

Donald