Subject: Re: Serious Question
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:52:47 -0400

This thread is very funny to me, since I heard just about a minute or so at
the end of the 'Onegin' broadcast, and had the distinct thought that the
first two of Netrebko's high notes were quite sharp, but the last one was in
tune.  The vibrato also seemed to me wider, which does not help accuracy of
pitch.  By the by, I also thought that the inordinately long pause before
Onegin's last line broke the dramatic mood completely.  I have no idea what
he was doing on stage all that time.

And a last comment on intonation and singers, since her name was mentioned.
We all know Tebaldi's problems above the staff, where the notes were
sometimes spot on and sometimes not so much, until towards the end, when
they were pretty much consistently flat.  But she always sang completely in
tune in the middle octave right up to her last recital.

David Kubiak