Subject: Re: Serious Question II
From: william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:12:06 -0400

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 09:27:45 -0400, Kiwi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You can hear off-pitch singing best when not being distracted by the staging / audience /
etc., – visual stimulation may dilute aural awareness, for example. <

I would add that broadcasts, particularly the Met's broadcasts, which are heavily
compressed dynamically and spotlight the singers to an excessive degree, tend to bring out
intonation problems that may be a lot less apparent in the theatre.

I suspect that most of those who take issue with Netrebko's intonation are basing it on the
broadcast, and that those who heard her in the theatre found it a lot easier to ignore.  I was
among the former, and found her virtually unlistenable.  A friend of mine with and
exceptionally good set of ears heard her at the Met, and was bothered more by her poor
diction than by her intonation.

Bill