Subject: Re: Serious Question
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Apr 2017 07:36:30 -0400

To follow up from my last post; obviously anyone with half an ear can hear
when the orchestra is playing one note and the singer is singing something
else.  I am only talking about the subtle "almost-on-the-note" which lacks
the precision to be determined as on-pitch.

An interesting anecdote which might bring a smile and a nod to musicians:
When driving on a highway we sometimes come to certain parts that make
the same sound every 2 seconds or so.  I ask my mate "what is that
particular note?" and of course he is immediately able to identify it. I get
the greatest kick out of that. Driving to New York there are often many
A-flats.

I don't think perfect pitch is something that one can acquire by practice
(kind of like a trill, although Marilyn Horne successfully debunked that
theory).  You're either born with it or you're not.