Subject: Re: Pitch
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Apr 2017 01:35:30 -0400

As for relative pitch, frankly, that's just essentially having good sight-singing or ear-
training skills, and can be learned. (And really, any good musician, singer or
instrumentalist, should have good relative pitch.)

On the other side of this discussion, I'm a bit more concerned about the contradictory
statement brought up by Kiwi - namely that people were saying that "Netrebko's
performance was flawless." Folks - IMO there is no such thing as a flawless performance.
Period. We can use terms like "flawless" or "perfect" colloquially, to mean a high level of
excellent performance in general - but trying to use such words literally is asking a bit
much.

The problem is - in all styles of music, not just classical/opera - people have come to
expect "flawless" performances, based on what is rather deceitfully manufactured in the
recording studio. But it's impossible to rely on the same kind of "perfection" in a live
performance. Which is probably why we've had the wool pulled over our eyes (or not) at
times by performers who lip-synch - from Milli Vanilli to Mariah Carey's embarrassing
"performance" in Times Square this past New Year's Eve.

I've heard many live performances that were amazingly good, but I'm not sure if any of
them were really flawless. And there's nothing wrong with that either - it's just human.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 00:53:53 -0400, R PRADA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi. For your information, because Chinese has tonal related speech, there are a good
many more Chinese people with perfect or absolute pitch than there are Americans, for
instance.
>Singing on pitch in trained singers is partly a function of support. If they push they go
sharp.

>Could become the case after singing roles that are too heavy. Could also be a fluke on a
pitch on an off day, but consistently off pitch speaks to a more general situation. It is a
function of technique.