Subject: Re: Serious Question
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Apr 2017 21:56:26 -0400

Unless I have completely misunderstood the meaning of absolute and
relative pitch all these years -- absolute meaning perfect pitch and being
able to identify a note correctly immediately (my mate has perfect/absolute
pitch which is a very rare ability) -- and relative pitch, which I have been
told I have, meaning once I have been given the first note I am then able
to discern all other notes properly.  But what these two things have to do
with singing off key I am not sure.
As far as hearing off pitch singing depends completely on whether or not
the hearer has perfect/absolute pitch and frankly that's a pretty rare
person who can claim they have absolute pitch and I kinda doubt that the
majority of posters on this list can stand up and claim they have
perfect/absolute pitch.