Subject: Re: Met's Gold Curtain
From: Donald Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:44:59 -0400

I recall it having once been described as a "Bayreuth" curtain, meaning that it
opened and closed, as Wagner's was designed to do, with two opposing diagonal
lifts, the speed of which could be varied to enhance the beginning or end of a
scene with suitable dramatic effect.  No ordinary window shade, or side to side
parting can match it, theatrically or aesthetically.  It is worth whatever it costs,
and I would gladly forego the Met's popular raising of a ring of crystal sputniks in
favor of it.

dtmk