Subject: Re: tosca
From: Patrick Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:09:18 -0400

Let us be very honest about the ripping of operas from their correct  and
historical settings. It has zip to do with concepts and making the story
meaningful for the audience of today. Who could not understand Tosca in the
period it is set in. Done correctly, the sets, costumes, and manners are spot
on  to the time of the story. Done as a gun moll and a bunch of gangsters or
in a  mini skirted tart on a motorcycle carrying a boom box, or any of the
other  sick sister so called directorial "ideas"is about economics, pure and
simple.  Nearly every new concept I have seen is either garbed as Nazi's or
some thrift  store conglomeration of cheap outfits. That is neither new nor
interesting.  It is cheap, however. Authentic sets and costumes from
certain periods are very  expensive.
If so called directors wish to stage something new and fresh I suggest they
 write a fresh new opera and stage it as they wish, such as Dead Man
Walking, or  Nixon in China, or the Sweet Bye and Bye. I always am curious to see
new operas,  and never interested in a period piece done up in some
disgusting drag from the  wrong epoch. Square peg, round hole.

Patrick Byrne

In a message dated 4/23/2017 3:27:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

On Sat,  22 Apr 2017 14:59:11 -0500, gordon young
<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

>As an artist the depiction of art and art practices in opera  always fail
>maybe I should say generally fail. In Boheme if the is no  visual reference
>to Marcelo’s being an artist, no canvases or any of  the clutter that makes
>up an artist's studio I question every other  aspect of the designers
>concept.
>
>I don’t think I have  ever seen a Tosca production where I accepted the
>painting of the  Magdalene. Most often the style of the painting ignores
the
>period in  which the production is presented.
= snip =

It is a few weeks  until the 54th anniversary of my first experience with a
radical
interpretation of a classic opera (Wieland's Tannhauser). It was difficult
but I finally
understood that it was reasonable that opera is an art that  does not
deserve to
treated simply be a museum piece to be reproduced.  This is certainly not
what the
composer would have wanted. All over the  world opera has won new audiences
by
making the drama meaningful for their  times. The idea that the last half
century of
opera production did not  happen is something you only find on Opera-l.
Gordon
and others are not  the least concerned that America’s backwardness in this
art
means that  creativity in opera production is entirely a European function.
Gordon,
do  you understand that no American opera producer is important outside our

borders while, in every other art, American creativity and influence is
everywhere
honored and recognized?

Let me take on Tosca - the story  - with a personal experience. Two days
ago, I
used Google to explore  transportation to Bayreuth this summer. That
included both
trains and  flights to Munich and Nurenburg. Less than 12 hours later, an
advertisement from a tourist group in Munich appeared on my Facebook
margins.
This was not a coincidence as anyone knows. What we also learned  in recent
news
is that the government routinely penetrates the security of  these giant
internet
companies and can access private accounts. In the  particular case
recently, the
government knew that hackers had stolen  their “keys” to get around
internet
companies security barriers late last  year but it was only when the hacker
material
was released by Wikileaks  that the public, and the internet giants, became
aware
of this. The  government decided that it was not in the public interest for
the public
to know that their rights of privacy are totally abrogated and that
protections in
the Constitution of the United States are now obsolete.  They are now more
busy
than ever shutting down Wikileaks.

We first  see Floria Tosca as a vapid star, happy, adored, invited
everywhere, in love
with a famous artist and clearly non-political but does anyone remember
the FIRST
THING that happens in the opera? Anyone? In the first seconds we  see a
fighter for
freedom and justice fleeing persecution. Even  Cavaradossi, also madly in
love, had
to be jolted back to remembering his  love of basic human rights when he
was
confronted with Angelotti. But the  real story is how Tosca reacts to this
new reality.
She remains vapid and  jealous during the first act but it is only her
confrontation
with  Ailes/O’Reilly (read Scarpia) that her moral compass starts spinning.
She
could allow the hand on her pussy - or not - and she chooses not. Her cris
de cour
(Visse d’arte) means she well understands that this will  permanently upset
her
comfortable world. Her first sight of the knife on  the floor also shows
she now
realizes how escape from an all-knowing  authoritarian state requires
extreme
action. (They not only know when you  buy your tickets, they know when you
are
even thinking about  tickets.)

Not relevant for today? You don’t understand why there are  laptops around
“security” services? Personal freedom and democracies are  not only under
threat
but loosing ground. Today is a critical vote in  France. Last Sunday Turkey
voted to
abandon the concept of liberal  democracy. Russia has been moving away from
that
for years and their work  to encourage and elect controlling state
governments in
other countries  have been successful.

I know all of you will be off soon to enjoy your  Sunday. No, you do not
have to
think about Tosca today.

Frank  Cadenhead

containing only  the words:  SIGNOFF  OPERA-L
To  stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message  to
[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L  NOMAIL