Subject: Re: tosca
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Apr 2017 08:38:25 -0400

Yes, I mixed up the surnames of the Marcellos (or rather one Marcello and one Marcelo), but knowing full well the difference…  must apologize to poor Mr. Giordani who always delivered a credible performance, while Alvarez I find almost impossible to watch. Every one of his gestures is artificial no matter what opera he is, he tries so hard to look amorous or furious, but what comes out is grotesque.  Not all singers are actors, but I almost would prefer if he did less rather than more.  And this director even managed to make Opolais look ridiculous, who usually acts so well that one forgets her shortcomings in the voice department.  Maybe because I work in the theater and am spoiled, I tend to be more critical of bad acting, though ultimately what matters is the Voice and the vocal performance, no question about that.