Subject: Eugene Onegin HD
From: Jackie Eubanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Apr 2017 21:44:36 -0400

Having listened today, but  not having attended the HD or the matinee live, I have to concur with Bob R. that aside from the extremely fine portrayal of Onegin by Mattei, this was a really lack-lustre performance.  Netrebko  sang consistently off-pitch and sounded much too old for the role.  Kocan made a hash of Gremin.  The music is wonderful and I will always love this opera despite weak casting, however Dolgov did little to erase memories of Gedda or more recently, Vargas.  Altogether a very uneven afternoon, at best.