Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin HD
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Apr 2017 16:08:54 -0700

Yes it was a wonderful performance, Netrebko and Mattei were superb, Dolgov
was a revelation and Kocan sang beautifully.  It was a pleasure to
encounter Larissa Diadkova and Elena Zaremba as Nanny and Mommy.  The
problem is this is HD and unfortunately, Tatiana looked like Gremin's
mother, the whole thing looked like Tatiana and Onegin twenty-five years
later.  In the theater, none of this would be important because of the
distance factor, you wouldn't have noticed.  But in HD, you see everything,
moles, skin tags, bad dental work, sweaty armpits, and singers at least
twenty to twenty-five years older than the characters they play.  But, they
all did sing magnificently today.

Donald