Subject: Re: Babes in Toyland
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Apr 2017 18:47:29 -0400

Hi,  Y'all!
   Why, OH WHY, do these things have to be updated and/or rewritten?  "Babes on Toyland," like nearly all of Gilbert and Sullivan, has passages that "no longer have currency now," in the sense that Roberta meant the phrase.  But they all had currency THEN, a currency which is part and parcel of the entire fabric of the work.  Such updatings are the equivalent of repainting the Mona Lisa so she's wearing Prada.  (Oh, my, wouldn't it be just SO nice to have the Mona Lisa "current," and "relevant," and all that crap?  Maybe we should attach silver handles to King Tut's tomb, or better yet burn his whole mummy and show off the ashes ncased in an urn?  To this degree, these truly are "museum pieces," and they belong INTACT, outdated and/or controversial lyrics intact, in resplendent showcases, AS THEY WERE CREATED AND INTENDED TO BE HEARD. I DO NOT WANT to hear Cole Porter's 'Out of This World" rewritten to read "Trump's Melania oughta be you."  I am very glad I did not hear this "Babes in Toyland," but wish I actually COULD hear the whole thing as it was intended to be heard.
   Best,
   Dennis Ryan