Subject: Re: Peggy Noonan on the Importance of Opera
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:01:41 -0700

Yes, she had heard about opera outside of New York, I am sure.  I am also
pretty certain that if you take all the performances in Chicago, San
Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles and Washington and put them
together, you will still get more performances per year from the Met.  Or,
 you'd be pretty close.  The Met gives 7 performances a week from September
through May.  Just take the Lyric in Chicago, 3-4 performances per week,
and not nearly as long a season.  December and January are sparse.  World
wide, the Met is the American house.  You may not like it, and I will admit
some of the performances I have seen in Chicago and San Francisco are as
good as any anywhere, LA also - but for consistency, length of season,
musical staff, any way you put it, hate New York or not, the Met is the Met
period.

Donald