Subject: Re: What operas have characters who are lawyers, attorneys, solicitors, barristers?...
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Apr 2017 15:13:07 +0000

I think he is written as a lawyer and counsel to Wotan, regardless of any
director's whims. He travels on Wotan's behalf to keep track of sticky
situations (rhinemaidens), he advises Wotan on the suitability of visiting
Niebelheim, where he does all the negociating. He deals with Alberich and
ultimately tricks him into submission, he even oversteps his client's
wishes when he states in public that Wotan wants to return the Ring to the
rhinemaidens, which gives Wotan a fit! (one of my favorite moments in the
Ring!). Come to think if it... Maybe the whole idea of Brünnhilde being a
reflection of Wotan's will is misplaced!