Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin HD
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Apr 2017 19:05:11 -0400

Could not agree with you more… this was a truly wonderful performance (not production, I hate the whole thing apart from the duel scene, it’s the only one that actually works),  Mattei was the most human Onegin I have seen (somehow he conveys the character’s contradictions better than thus far my favorite Dima was able to) and Lensky was also very good and truly heartbreaking at every moment.  We were talking about acting recently, Dolgov not only had a lovely voice, but he created a whole character over a few scenes, and one could understand exactly what his problem was and where he went wrong.
My only major issue is the letter scene, and I do wonder what poor Netrebko feels about having to act and sing her heart out while scribbling and tearing up sheet of paper after sheet before declaring that the letter is done.  There is no way that could have happened under that silly direction.

But hey, I was in heaven for three hours, so who cares?