Subject: Fwd: What operas have characters who sing?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Apr 2017 00:01:53 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: What operas have characters who sing?
To: Don <[log in to unmask]>

The interesting thing is that, in opera, everybody sings, but that doesn't
make
everybody a singer.  Tosca is decidedly "a singer" but, as such, she is
heard very little, and off stage!  Tannhauser qualifies, but I would rule
out Mefistofele.
The serenaders are a problem: is Turridu a singer?  Is Musetta?  Is
Almaviva?
Rosina definitely is.  Violetta and Alfredo?  No way!  Suddenly joining
together
in praise of drink, doesn't do it.

dtmk