Subject: Re: Hollaender prima
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Apr 2017 14:43:11 -0400

This performance exploded with energy, passion and total commitment. If this is what Nezet-Seguin brings on a consistent basis, we are all in for a very bright future at the MET.  He uses accents to springboard the Wagnerian phrases into action and propels them forcefully into an inevitable arc that demands attention.  There is a musical logic to his concept that seems self-evident but sounds as if it is the first time that I have heard it.  He not only creates haunted, desperate, phantasmic world of the Hollander and muscular, at times frantic bluster of the two crews of sailors,  but also weaves sonorities that join with the singers voice to invoke the sadness and longing that they convey vocally in the quieter moments.
Michael Volle incarnates the eponymous role completely from beginning to end starting with his weary and haunting “Die Frist its um”.  One can hear the agony in his voice as he cries “Wie oft in Meeres tiefsten Schlund stüzt’ich voll Sehnsucht mich hinab”.  He leaves no doubt about what he is feeling as he sings.
Incredibly, Amber Wagner is no less compelling.  She exposes her fragile psychological state, lost in a state of dreaming in her first act Lied.  One can hear her wonder and terror as she intones “Doch kann den bleichen Manne Erlösung einstens noch werden”.  She is able, at times, to fit notes of her phrase so closely with those of the orchestra that she seems to be another instrument woven into the fabric of the tonality.
I sat up straight in my chair as the overture began stating its case in D minor and was glued to it to the final emphatic D Major chord.
(Hopefully, these remarks will be legible, as I battled mightily with spellcheck.)

Ron Magnuson

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 11:46 AM, Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I listened to the Fliegende Hollaender last night and was thrilled not only by
> the singers but especially by Nezet-Seguin.

Modify your settings: