Subject: Hollaender prima
From: Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Apr 2017 11:46:55 -0400

I listened to the Fliegende Hollaender last night and was thrilled not only by
the singers but especially by Nezet-Seguin.  In many cases the primas at
the Met are like a second dress with coordination problems here and there.
By the second or third show things usually are better.  Last night was
exceptional in that the conductor was with the singers totally and was still
in charge at the same time.  I have been impressed by his previous work at
the Met, especially the Carmen and the Don Carlo, but the Hollaender was
even better than expected.

Levine as we know took most of the orchestra rehearsal time for his operas
and that was probably why other important conductors decided to forgo
appearing at the Met.  That and of course the fact that Levine gave himself
most of the important new productions and opening nights and left very
little for the others.  I don't see N.-S. as being that sort.  One other thing:
Luisi stated that he had yet to meet Levine after having spent several
seasons there as principal guest conductor.  That surprised the hell out of
me.  I thought that it was the music director's job to select and hire the
person who had the next most important conductor job in the company.
N.-S. is a breath of fresh air and his smile is so infectious that I cannot
help smiling whenever I see him.

Angelo from Boston

Modify your settings: