Subject: "That" legendary London/Rysanek Hollander Met performance-- on CD?
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 26 Apr 2017 05:20:29 -0400

None, Stephen.

The performance was on 6 Feb 1960, a non-sub, and I was lucky
enough to be there.

There is a broadcast from that season, 5 March 1960, that is preceded
by the Prelude to Act Four of Traviata in memory of Leonard Warren,
who died the night before. It is not as good.

There are other Met broadcasts, and a studio recording, the last
conducted by Dorati, all of which disappoint to one extent or another.
Avoid the 68 broadcast with MacNeil and Tozzi at all costs. They are
all dreadfully wobbly and out of tune.

The Bayreuth performance with Sawallisch from the Summer of 1959
is spectacular in every way, and is the one I would recommend. Leonie
is truly incandescent and her top register is phenomenal. London is
unforgettable and Sawallisch is their equal.

Bob