Subject: Do we care about minor plot inconsistencies? Was: tosca
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 22 Apr 2017 02:45:48 +0000

It always surprises me that people care about these types of details. I suppose Azucena's confusion about the baby or the intricacies of what Wotan may or may not do annoys lots of people as well--whether those operas are verismo or da sogno (bzw. träumerisch). Maybe it's that I started listening to opera so young--at age 5 or 6--so fantasy and reality have never really been separate. For me, the plot of operas is a scaffolding on which great emotional situations, and thus great musical and dramatic phrases, are hung--nothing more or less. I do not notice the inconsistencies. But to each their own....

Andy Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ