Subject: Wish it were so................
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Apr 2017 14:37:43 -0400

Stories I wish were true

Over the years we hear so many stories that are probably not true...but they
are FUN,and I wish they were true.

1. Baritone Germont is ill. Enters..."Madamigella Valery, ADDIO"..Bye..bye

2. Doctor in Traviata boooed for his line. He gets scared,so next perf. when
Annina says, "Come va,signore?" He does a "thumbs down."

3. Lousy tenors get BIS for his aria...sings it again (awful)...Audience
wants another "Bis." He says, thank you, but I cannot sing it anymore" Voice
yells, "You sing it till you learn it!!"

4. Prompter gives "La donna e mobile" line to tenor. He does not
sing..Prompter does it again...nothing..Finally the angry prompter says, "La
donna e mobile,you jerk."  Tenor sings, "La donna e mobile you jerk."

  Reminds me of Joan Dorneman giving all the lines to singers on my
Barcelona tapes. I met her and said, "Thanks for ruining my tapes!!" She
laughed.

5. Milanov tale..Cannot be true..... Zinka finishes a concert.People call
for encores. Guy yells over and over, "Sing Melancholy baby."  Zinka says,
"I do not know theese "Melancholy Baby."  Guy yells.."Then show us your TITS!"

6. Yiddish theatre..must be hilarious in Yiddish. Man drops dead for real on
stage. Fellow actor says."The man is dead." Man in audience says, "Give him
and enema".....Actor says, "SIR,the man is dead..An enems would not help."
Man in audience says, "It vudent HURT!!!!"

 BUT I have seen at the La Puma opera REAL stuff like this:
1. Nedda knows Ballatella. Tonio comes in.She does not know this part...so
he has to LEAVE!
2. Aida chorus member wears watch. (Memphis time????)
3. Sacristan shakes his ass in time with music at his entrance.
4. (This I only heard,but I KNOW it is true.):  Olive Middleton as Sieglinde
enters the hut with a flashlight.. Was she Hunding for someone?  Also,
Walkuries have music on their shields.
5. Faust prompter in a JHS screams words from offstage, louder than the
singers in the garden scene.
6. Don Giovanni..DURING overture...guy comes late..Unpacks instrument..and
then joins in......
7. My first La Puma visit at Junior High School.. Iago gets up on table in
Drinking Song (only school tables on stage) and falls off!!!!

  So you see.........some stuff we hear actually might be