Subject: Trump's gaffe regarding Pavarotti
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:51:29 -0400

There have been worse presidential faux pas than this.  In 1976, Gerald
Ford did a speech on national television proclaiming that Poland, Rumania,
Bulgaria, Hungary, Albania, Yugoslavia, and Czechoslovkia were "free and
liberated countries.  I was in my seventh year of teaching at the time, and
I was astonished and shocked at the statement.  In fact, SO shocked that I
called the television station.  Their phones were jammed with calls from
everywhere and the whole unforgivable error made the front pages the
next morning.  This was, of course, during the days of the Iron Curtain.
Ford caught a lot of hell for this.  And then there was George W. Bush,
visiting Europe during his first term (2000-2004) and having been invited
to the Vienna Opera for a performance, said that he was looking forward to
it because he loved Grand Ol' Opry.
      Talk about stupidity.  Sometimes it's so much better just to keep the
pie hole shut!