Subject: Re: Donald Trump
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:16:20 -0400

I'm trying to understand all the hype on this one. No, I am certainly not in any way shape
or form a trump supporter - but I really think this is being blown up way out of proportion.

I am sure that in everyday speech, many of us have referred to a friend who has passed
on as simply "a friend," without having to qualify that such friend is no longer alive. Now
true, had he said "he WAS a great friend of mine" it would have clarified things. But I do
think that in casual, conversational English (which is how he talks - ever notice how phony
he sounds when he tries to deliver a written speech?), we can assume that he knew
Pavarotti was dead, and that he was simply referring to the friendship they had when he
was alive.

That is, assuming they actually were friends.

I'm not really attempting to come to trump's defense on this (ick), I'm just saying I think
we're wasting our time re-interpreting a casual remark that we might as well just forget
about. In other words, who the F cares???

Back to opera...