Subject: Re: Some comments on Krassimira Stoyanova in Aida
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Apr 2017 13:55:51 -0700

I was going to post and then saw Bob's thoughts.  I have a deep respect for
Bob's understanding of opera and often agree.  I heard bits and pieces of
the broadcast but the 3 & 4th acts complete.  I agree totally on Stoyanova
except I didn't think the O patria mia was as bad as he.  The rest however
was magnificent.  Beautiful singing, beautiful phrasing.  Too bad we don't
get more of her.  She isn't getting any younger.  Next year she is singing
the Requiem.  Forza would have been a treat.  I was also impressed with
Riccardo Massi.  Its a good voice and I hope to hear more of him.  I
certainly prefer him to the bellowing of Marco Berti.  Generally, I was
pleased.  Violeta Urmana is of course an esteemed singer.  I realize that
15 years of singing dramatic soprano roles has taken its toll on this
former mezzo and she has now I guess permanently returned to the mezzo
repertoire.  The Amneris was good.  Gagnizde sang well as Amonasro.  As
Aida's go today, It was pretty good.

Donald