Subject: RUDE response
From: "SUBSCRIBE OPERA-L Vince C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Apr 2017 01:19:45 -0400

Over the past few weeks, I have been emailing all sorts of people (opera lovers,
newspaper music reporters, faculty and staff at music departments of various universities
and colleges, people who work at various opera companies in America, Canada, Europe,
and South America, etc.) and contacting opera lovers through YouTube telling them about
the young soprano Cassandra Kevizian.  Well, I emailed the music graduate admissions
program of the University of British Colombia.  I received a very rude response.  Here is
a paraphrase of what the email said:

<<You are very odd.  You don't know this woman and yet you uploaded her performance
onto YouTube without her permission and you send promotional emails about her to
various people.  It doesn't matter how much you like her voice.  You need to find a better
use of your time.>>

I deleted the original email because I found it so offensive.  The paraphrase contains the
gist of what it said.

I wanted to write a response but decided not to.  In my hypothetical response, I would
have said, "Excuse me, but I wanted to share this voice with the world.  I asked
Cassandra her permission to post the videos on my Facebook.  She said yes.  I did not
ask her permission to post the videos on YouTube but I don't think she would mind.  I
don't earn ANY MONEY from my YouTube opera videos (I only have two opera videos up
and I recorded both videos myself).  Without promotion/marketing, a significant portion
of America's economy would collapse.  She is starting out in opera and these videos will
only help her career if she decides to pursue one.  Thanks to my efforts, hundreds of
people have been exposed to her beautiful voice.  I am sorry you feel the way you do,
but I think I spend my time wisely promoting such a promising young singer with a
magnificent lyric soprano voice."