Subject: Re: Reviewing Bernheimer
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Apr 2017 23:43:39 -0400

Indeed. We all like to lament that the art of reviewing is gone, yet I have no problem
whatsoever with Mr. Bernheimer. And it's not a question of whether I always agree with
him or not - it's the quality of the writing that I appreciate.

Of course, Mr. Gereben didn't toot his own horn, so I would also say that we on Opera-L
are fortunate to have *his* talents, and also that of Mr. Serinus - both of whom I feel are
fine critics who not only know their subjects but understand how to write about them.

Contrasting them with that Mr. Pantano who posts his "reviews" here, who seems to think
a review is a weird cross between a gushing teenage fan letter and a dutiful term paper.
That is NOT how to write a cogent, concise, quality review.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:19:50 -0700, janosG <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Take a performance. Any performance. Then say everything that needs to be said about
it in 300 words. In English and make it sing.

>Try it and maybe then, if you are a halfway decent reviewer yourself, you will appreciate
the consistent excellence of the man.