Subject: Some comments on Krassimira Stoyanova in Aida
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Apr 2017 16:42:12 -0400

from the Met today, as heard on WQXR.

She is among my favorite singers from this generation, and I
very much looked forward to this performance, though I
planned to, and in fact did, hear only Acts 3 and 4.

"O patria mia" was extremely disappointing, from choppy
phrasing, to alternations of sharp and flat singing, to failed
attempts at sustaining the long line. The top C was ok, but
far from ideal. It was all kind of a mess, and I was really surprisd

Once past that formidable failure, she sang magnificently,
encompassing both the dramatic demands of the Amonasro duet
and the lyricism of the Radames duet. She defined her dilemma and
its music nearly perfectly and the Tomb Scene was a model of
control and repose.

As I reflect on the great aria, so poorly executed, I can only conclude
that it was a giant case of nerves, because the rest was at a level
almost never heard these days and not too often matched in days of
yore. The phrasing, usually her strength, was really unfortunate.

I'm sorry now that I couldn't hear the first two acts, if only out of
curiosity. Hoping to read some other comments

Bob