Subject: Re: Met / FT review
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:04:25 -0400

On Tue, April 18, 2017 4:06 pm, David Coco wrote:
> Is it just me, or are all of Martin Bernheimer's reviews very superficial
> and shallow?
> No need to be too wordy, but a little reflection couldn't hurt.

In this case at least, it's one sensible reaction to the nonsense onstage.
Carsen's production doesn't stand up to much reflection. (I saw it last
night.) Bernheimer might have decided that a rundown of the principals
with brief comments on the singing was less infuriating and more likely to
see print than a lengthy dissection of all that's wrong with it. And if
the FT following the lead of the other NYC papers with their arts
coverage, they probably want short and shallow anyway.

Modify your settings: