Subject: Re: Some comments on Krassimira Stoyanova in Aida
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:23:40 -0400

I turned on the broadcast at 'Ritorna vincitor', and was impressed by the
'ampiezza' of Stoyanova's voice, as well as her willingness to employ a
strong chest register. I also noticed some untraditional vocal underlay I
wonder where she found.  As the opera went on, however, I began to think
that the voice was rather too 'ampia'.  Her problems with 'O patria mia'
stemmed, I think, from her inability to modulate volume with any ease, and I
must side with those who thought the gasp for breath before the C was not
acceptable.  In the following duet she sang unremittingly loud; I didn't
hear the Tomb Scene, but wonder how she coped with those high piano notes
that were so extraordinarily beautiful early in Tebaldi's career. (In her
short prime I'll give Millo the piano singing, but the big stuff was never
quite big enough.) From what I heard Stoyanova has an impressive but
unwieldy instrument.  For me Radvanovsky a few seasons ago in Chicago was
better.

David Kubiak