Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin at the Met on April 12
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Apr 2017 23:09:04 -0400

I saw Mattei as Onegin with Poplavskaya and Kocan  at the Met.  Mattei was very

good and was a far better singer than his soprano partner.  She seems to have

disappeared from the operatic scene since that engagement.  Villazon was rather

small-voiced but still strong and Kuda, kuda was heartfelt and moving.  Kocan was

given such a slow tempo for the aria and he held his third from the last note for

such a long time that the audience applauded then and there.  Kocan broke

character,  turned to his colleagues and smiled.  After that interruption  he finished

the aria.

I have loved the opera for many years and love it still. I agree that the present Met

production is poor.  The previous one which was used recently at Chicago Lyric is

much better.  Of course Dmitri as Onegin is unsurpassable.  I hope that he is able

to make it to Tanglewood in August for the operatic concert with Opolais.  BTW

there has been some scuttlebutt that she will be forced to withdraw from the Tosca

at the Met next season.  I wonder if that means that Nelsons will cancel like he did

at Bayreuth.  We, subscribers to the BSO are experiencing a surfeit of Opolais.

Her next appearance here is for the Mahler 4th.  Not too demanding, for sure.

Angelo from Boston