Subject: Re: Eugene Onegin at the Met on April 12
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Apr 2017 14:21:13 -0400

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Mattei is known primarily as a Mozart singer, from what I have read and
> heard, for which the elegance and refinement of his voice are ideally
> suited.  I had never heard him before, and I certainly enjoyed his
> performance very much in spite of the little
> reservation above.  I would love to hear him again in something other than
> “Onegin,” in a Mozart or a “bel canto” opera.

Thank you for sharing your impressions. It was very interesting to read
your post.

As for Peter Mattei, the Met's last production of PARSIFAL boasted an
incredible male cast (Kaufmann, Pape, Nikitin)  and yet almost everyone was
talking about Mattei's Amfortas. For the right reasons! Also a great
Wolfram. I wish to see him more in the Italian, esp. Verdi, repertory. One
of the best Posas I've heard on the recordings.

I was bowled over by his Yeletsky but I've never heard his Onegin. Still, I
think that the Russian attendees you spoke to should be a bit more tolerant
of his "accent" - not too many Russian singers of the past and present
conquered the Italian/French/German diction, let alone the idiom, and yet
we admire them in that repertoire as well.

I don't know if he ever trained with Gedda (my guess is not) but someone
else might fill you in on it.

Best, Vesna