Subject: Re: New Rosenkavalier - Reactions?
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Apr 2017 13:33:57 -0400

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 11:31 AM, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Listening to it on streaming, it sounded like a great performance, musically.

I listened in on Sirius. Ms Flemming can still spin some lovely lines even while maintaining some of the mannerisms that irk so many people.  I can not think of anyone who can sing the role better.  Garanca sounded drop dead gorgeous and Morely sounded lovely.  The three teamed up for a sublime Act 111 trio.  Polenzani acquitted himself well as the Italian singer.  Ochs grated on my nerves after the first ten minutes but the rest of the cast was solid.  Moments of exquisite beauty shone among intermittent disagreements between the orchestra and the singers.

Ron Magnuson