Subject: Re: New Rosenkavalier - Reactions?
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:25:14 +0000

Hello all--
I don't think the ending of the Rosenkavalier has been a complete secret.  I read or heard something about the ending of the production from when Covent Garden did it earlier this year, and there are probably articles online about it.  I don't remember the details other than that it was very pessimistic, and a far cry from Strauss' and Hofmannsthal's magical conception.  The commentators on Thursday night kept hinting that the Sophie/Octavian relationship could end up being very brief, and somebody Ms. Heath interviewed--I want to say Yannick Nézet-Séguin, but it could have been Garança--said that Octavian could easily be dead three weeks after the ending of the opera, killed in battle.
Nobody has commented on the fact that there was quite an outcry against the members of the production team when they came out for their curtain call at the end after Thursday night's prima.  The commentators didn't say anything about the uproar.  When the Sonnambula was new, they at least acknowledged that the response was mixed or whatever mild word they used.  Actually, I think the entire house was booing Mary Zimmerman after that first Sonnambula and there was no "mixed" about it.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!