Subject: Ney Matogrosso
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Apr 2017 18:28:41 -0400

Sent from my iPhone

> Ok usually I don't discuss dissenting opinions, but in this I need to clarify my impression. I certainly was not going to compare his singing to anything at the opera house. These are foreign acting values, choreography, and a search for a deeper and wider meaning in his performing. As I made clear was reminded of Nijinsky  not a singer. The experimentation, the search for a personal truth in his work I find inspiring and compelling. Yes he is a showman. He is also on his own terms stylish and broad in his tastes over time. Sometimes it's a bit cabaret, sometimes folk, sometimes jazz, sometimes Brazilian dance rhythms. And always interesting because always searching to find a deeper connection to the earth,  nature, sexuality in his art.

Also his improvisational look is a product of continual experimentation. It is well thought out and always changing.

It is the opposite of phoning it in.
He inspired me. His search changed over the years as he grew as a man. It's not often that we see that kind of expressive commitment in classical music. It would be hard to compare this to what we do, but I found value in it, and so despite its tenuous connection I wanted to share it with you.
> What the hell folks, you will never see Merman on the concert stage doing what we do, but it doesn't mean she's not interesting and inspiring. No, she didn't use a microphone and Ney does.
Tell you what: if I could get this guy in contact with classical singers I bet something wonderful could happen.
Also there is nothing of the puritanical in his sexiness. He is natural man.
You do t have to agree with me.
RP