Subject: Re: Olga P. at the Met
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Apr 2017 14:17:30 -0500

And why does that video offend so many Opera Listers?  We are talking about
the end of Semiramide "Dolce pensiero" posted on YouTube as "Operatic
Apocalypse" right?  I've heard versions from Irene Abendroth (1902) and
Marcella Sembrich (1908) through Caballe (1980), so I think I know what the
standard is.  And I'm frankly disposed to be skeptical of most recent
attempts at something like "Bel raggio ... Dolce pensiero."  Despite this
bias, I honestly found Peretyatko's concert performance w. piano to be
better than her studio recording (orch. cond. by A. Zedda); her Italian
passes muster, the voice placement is forward (unlike Callas and
Sutherland), the top notes are there and they are brilliant, her runs are
exceptionally fluent and rhythmic.  Her ornamentation is neither excessive
nor unstylish.  I listened to it initially assuming it would cause
amusement, and was instead impressed.