Subject: Re: La Traviata Met Cast
From: Peter Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Apr 2017 20:28:31 -0400

Excellent points. If a singer is under contract to stand by and is not ready, shame on them. If they're not and accept the call anyway, then they probably have visions of creating a sensation and the rest is history, etc. These stories are part of the fun of opera (Scotto subbing for Callas in Edinburgh, Domingo flying across country with the Otello score in his lap to save SFO's opening night). This soprano knew what she was doing. I don't have a lot of sympathy for her.