Subject: Re: Martina Arroyo Foundation Hosts Spring Luncheon
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:37:48 -0700

Marilyn Maye. When I was 15 and just discovering opera and classical music, I was very into pop and jazz vocals. Somebody gave me a Marilyn Maye album called "The Lamp is Low" (that song fitting into a thread we had a while ago about popular songs derived from classical material - in this case Ravel's "Pavane pour une enfante defunte"). I still have it. Really superb singing, inventive orchestrations and really fine songs (including one of my favorites, "The Night We Called It a Day").

I remember reading that the record producer made the bold move, for a pop recording, of having her sing open mic in front of the orchestra rather than in the usual isolation booth. Bold in that it meant the voice couldn't be separated from the orchestra for editing or "post processing" but it made for a much more natural sound.

She certainly knew how to sing and glad to hear she's held up so well.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad