Subject: Re: Any Listers at La Fenice on 2 May ?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Apr 2017 19:29:46 -0400

I hope it turns out well, but I can't help being reminded of a similar
experience that seemed equally momentous to me when, in 2013, I had the
opportunity to attend a performance of DER FLIEGENDE HOLLANDER,
an opera that means as much to me as LUCIA does to bel canto fanciers,
at the Semper Oper in Dresden, where it had been first performed.  This
event was to have been, in my imagination, the highlight of my very first
visit
to Germany.  What a disappointment it turned out to be: not Dresden, and
not the Opera house, but the gross misrepresentation of Wagner's work in
a Regie staging that Germany, Dresden, and the Semper Oper should all be
ashamed of.

dtmk