Subject: Re: The Diva Departs: Renée Fleming’s Farewell to Opera
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Apr 2017 17:22:53 +0000

The Price-Fleming relationship or comparison is rather interesting. A couple of weeks ago we were talking about whether Price was a lyric or spinto. I recall reading that Price considered her voice to be that of a lyric soprano. I did not agree. How could a lyric sing so many Aida's, and other heavier Verdi roles? I also recall reading that Price tried to encourage Fleming tp let out her sound more as she thought Renee's voice was capable of sounding larger and able to take on heavier roles. Perhaps Price was right about her voce, after all-LOL!  Unfortunately, I never saw Fleming live but thought she had a lovely full lyric voice, and was a superior vocal artist, if not an exciting performer.  Years ago I read a comment about Victoria de los Angeles by Irving Kolodin, in which he said that Victoria was not a commanding presence on stage, but usually sang too well to be ignored.  On the recital stage, all Victoria had to do for me was to sing the simplest of songs, and flash her radiant smile.