Subject: Re: Bette and Joan
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Apr 2017 10:26:35 -0400

Count me as one who has been thoroughly enjoying "Bette and Joan," one of the best-acted
and written mini-series I've seen in some time.  I think that both Sarandon and Lange are
extraordinary as the two leads.  Not only are the resemblances to the originals remarkable,
but they each have the mannerisms and speech patterns down cold.  And they manage to
create living characters rather than impersonations.  (So does Zeta-Jones as de Havilland,
although her face is narrower than OdH's was.)

As for opera casting - difficult question, of one leaves out the Usual Suspects.  But how about
Crespin as Jane and Zinka as Blanche?  (Crespin would fearlessly capture the grotesquerie of
Jane and Zinka the long-suffering immobility of Blanche - although she would not be able to
twitch her train in the wheelchair.)  And while we're at it, how about Francesco Casanova in
the Victor Buono part?  And Calixto Bieito as the director, Aldrich.

Or, if one wanted to go for a morbid obesity version, how about Ebe Stignani as Blanche and
Lina Pagliughi as Jane (the latter would do a mad coloratura version of "I've Written a Letter
to Daddy.")  Ernestine Schumann-Heink as the (in this version) German housekeeper, Lauritz
Melchior for Victor Buono.

MDW