Subject: Bette and Joan
From: daaaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Apr 2017 03:03:40 -0400

I’m sure that I’m not the only one enjoying the FX series “Feud: Bette and Joan”.  It is really enthralling and entertaining.

Of course, it would be overkilll if an opera came out of this "sujet délicieux", but my question is: what voice type or range would be assigned to the two ladies?  And an even more fun question, what singers  from the past, present or both would best portray the roles?  For the time being, let’s make this triviality Callasless.

Crawford did indeed study with Ponselle, who designated her as a contralto, but I don’t think that Joan would have approved of a comparison to a Butt.

Donald