Subject: Re: Celso Abelo?
From: "Steve B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Apr 2017 17:31:13 -0400

A purely personal view written after hearing a broadcast of the tenor of 'I
Puritani.'.

'This Arturo, Spanish tenor Celso Albelo, sings with a lovely tone, pulls
out an impressive messa di voce and launches a C sharp in his aria without
apparent effort. In the last act duet he whacks out a couple of high Ds (not
actually effortless but definitely true) and in the final `Credeasi misera'
repeats the D and fearlessly sings a remarkable high F. As if this isnt
enough he goes up at the conclusion of the opera to what my old ears thinks
is another long held D or E flat with the soprano (I don't have a score and
my tuning fork days are behind me). The voice itelf is in the Florez mould
but without the ultimate vocal `finish' of that gentleman I have to say I
greatly preferred his Arturo to Florez who undertook the role in the first
presentation of the opera . And unlike Florez you get all the notes as
written ! He is young and someone needs to tell him not to sing this killer
role too often. There are other operas for which he is eminently suited and
which will not tax him quite so severely and surely he has made the point
that he has arrived on the opera scene with a bang (or an F) He is
definitely to be heard by all lovers of this old opera and what a joy this
it can still be when decently and carefully cast and conducted. I had a rare
old time and would love to hear soprano and tenor in other roles.'

Best wishes
Steve B.