Subject: Celso Abelo?
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Apr 2017 16:08:45 -0400

I went to YouTube recently to hear how various tenors cope with that pesky
'Anna Bolena' aria 'Vivi tu', and was surprised that the version I found
most impressive was sung by Celso Abelo, someone I had never heard of.  I
hesitate to make a judgment, however, since the piece was sung in recital in
a room with a very echo-y acoustic.  (This was something that contributed to
people getting less out of Stephen Costello than they expected, I think.
His first YouTube clips were sung in a church, and there was a knock-out
'Cuius animam', now curiously gone, where it turned out that the resonance
was coming more from the space than from him.)

What do people think of Abelo?  Nothing comes up on an Archives search, and
I don't really have time to listen to the rest of his clips.

Thanks.

David Kubiak