Subject: Re: Christa Ludwig
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Apr 2017 13:47:20 +0200

She told Susan Graham that one great thing about switching from Octavian to Marschallin was "I could eat!" She didn't have to fit into those tight "trousers."

Beyond a great voice, one of those few singers who really deserved the term "singing actress." Deep, probing interpretations that stirred emotions and intellect with no compromise in the actual singing.

In recital an entirely different performer convincing in a very wide range of styles and languages. In those days it was unusual to hear authentic Russian song without tremolo.

Even if she wasn't the total delight offstage, she earned her place.

One thing about her. A few times, in San Francisco and Salzburg, I happened to see her shopping. Totally normal, unexceptional chubby face Hausfrau. Onstage she looked stunningly beautiful.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone